Task Force Meets in Baton Rouge Feb. 24

February 24, 2017

At its Feb. 24 meeting in Baton Rouge, the Restore Louisiana Task Force heard details on next steps in the state’s action plan for distributing an initial $438 million appropriation for flood relief.

The plan received final approval earlier this month from the federal government, clearing the way for construction assistance to reach qualifying families.

Gov. John Bel Edwards’ Office of Community Development has an estimated timeline for the money becoming available by mid- to late March as a line of credit to the state. Pat Forbes, the Office of Community Development’s executive director, says a brief online survey will be available in the coming weeks that will serve as the initial step in the application process.

The Task Force and the Office of Community Development continues urging residents to sign up for email updates through the restore.la.gov website. Once the application process is finalized, it will be distributed immediately to subscribers, as well as news media statewide.

Forbes says final approval is expected by late March on the state’s action plan for distributing a separate appropriation for $1.2 billion. That plan was submitted on Feb. 17. It seeks to provide at least some measure of assistance to residents who experienced major or severe damage to their homes and who did not have flood insurance.

It also would fund rental assistance, economic development help for small businesses and farmers, and help for parishes in meeting federal match requirements for additional assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Gov. Edwards was in Washington, D.C., on Feb. 24 for the seventh time since the August floods, working with the state’s congressional delegation and President Trump’s administration in securing another $2.08 billion in flood aid.

Last modified: February 24, 2017